History of Samutsakhon
Samut Sakhon is located at the mouth of the Tha Chin Klong river, a distributary of the Chao Phraya river, to the Gulf of Thailand. At the coast to the sea are many fields used for sea salt production.
The oldest name of the area is Tha Chin, probably referring to the fact that it was a trading port where Chinese junks arrived. In 1548 the city Sakhon Buri was established, and was renamed in 1704 to Mahachai after the khlong Mahachai which was dug then and connected with the Tha Chin river near the town. It was renamed by King Mongkut to its current name, however the old name Mahachai is still sometimes used by the locals people.
The seal shows a Chinese junk in front of the coast, with a smoking chimney. Both refer to the old trading tradition as well as the local industries.
Provincial tree is the Devil Tree (Alstonia scholaris). The provincial slogan is Fishing City, Factory Town, Agricultural Ground, Historic Site.
The province is subdivided into 3 districts (Amphoe). The districts are further subdivided into 40 communes (tambon) and 288 villages (muban).
1. Mueang Samut Sakhon
2. Krathum Baen
3. Ban Phaeo
Altogether there are 7 municipal (thesaban) areas within the province - Samut Sakhon is the only city (thesaban nakhon), Krathum Baen and Om Noi are the two towns (thesaban mueang), and there are further 4 townships (thesaban tambon). The non-municipal areas are administrated by 30 Tambon administrative organizations (TAO).
Samutsakhon is only 30 km. from central Bangkok. The area is 872,347 Sq.km. or 545,216 Rais. The border is as following :-
Northern connect with Nakhon Prathom Province
Southern connect with the Gulf of Thailand
Eastern connect with Bangkok, capital city
Western connect with Samut Songkhram and Ratchaburi Province
Samutsakhon has 4,636 factories with over Bht. 407,333,304.026 for investment.